Death Penalty Action (DPA) provides high visibility resources, leadership, support, educational and direct action events and activities within the broader anti-death penalty movement. DPA is prepared to assist various local, state and national groups in their work to end the use of the death penalty.
Some of the services we provide include:
- Planning and implementing public education activities in advance of executions and legislative activities
- Developing and implementing a communications plan to highlight agreed-upon messages
- Provision of signs, banners and other visibility tools for use in public protests
- Collaborating with local staff and volunteers to ensure that organizations and coalitions build themselves
- Marshaling the resources of national movement organizations across the country - including arranging for speakers and presenters
- On-the-ground logistical and tactical support of events, direct actions and other public activities
Highlighted direct work that we are engaged in:
- Currently leading the campaign to abolish the federal death penalty
- Organizing with Oklahoma Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty to address the execution spree begun in 2022.
- Partnering with Project Hope to Abolish the Death Penalty in Alabama around the horrific botched executions there
- Assisted in supporting the foundation of South Carolinians for Alternatives to the Death Penalty in 2021.
- Assisted Ohioans to Stop Executions to stop all scheduled executions in the state and helped lead a major 10-day tour throughout the state in October 2019
- Managed the death penalty crisis in Arkansas in April 2017 for the Arkansas Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty
- Managed the Texas Journey of Hope in October 2017
- Campaigned to highlight the U.S.'s 1500th execution in Georgia in June 2019
- Organized the "Human Rights in Crisis" national conference in December 2020 and the"End of Executions" national conference in January 2021
- Currently managing the Abolitionist Action Committee's Starvin' for Justice: Annual Fast & Vigil to Abolish the Death Penalty each summer at the U.S. Supreme Court in Washington, DC
Find out more on our Campaigns and Projects page.
We are funded by our members and supporters, and are a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization. Find our Guide Star profile here.
Find out how you can financially support Death Penalty Action here.
Executive Director and Co-Founder: Abraham Bonowitz (bio)
Administrator and Co-Founder: Scott Langley
Congressional Relations Coordinators: Cathy Crino and Beth Burke
Impacted Communities Liaison: Charles Keith
Communications Associate: Alli Sullivan
General inquires may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Board of Directors: