Death Penalty Action (DPA) provides high visibility resources, leadership, support, educational and direct action events and activities within the broader anti-death penalty movement. DPA is prepared to assist various local, state and national groups in their work to end the use of the death penalty.
DPA is currently leading the campaign to abolish the federal death penalty in 2021. Additionally, DPA has worked with the Arkansas Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty, Ohioans to Stop Executions, Journey of Hope... from Violence to Healing, and the Abolitionist Action Committee.
Some of the services we provide include:
- Planning and implementing public education activities in advance of executions and legislative activities
- Developing and implementing a communications plan to highlight agreed-upon messages
- Provision of signs, banners and other visibility tools for use in public protests
- Collaborating with local staff and volunteers to ensure that organizations and coalitions build themselves
- Marshaling the resources of national movement organizations across the country - including arranging for speakers and presenters
- On-the-ground logistical and tactical support of events, direct actions and other public activities
Highlighted direct work that we have been engaged in:
- Managed the death penalty crisis in Arkansas in April 2017
- Managed the Texas Journey of Hope in October 2017
- Campaigned to highlight the U.S.'s 1500th execution in Georgia in June 2019
- Organized the "Human Rights in Crisis" national conference in December 2020 and the"End of Executions" national conference in January 2021
- Currently assisting our Ohio partner to stop all scheduled executions in the state and helped lead a major 10-day tour throughout the state in October 2019
- Currently manages the Abolitionist Action Committee's Starvin' for Justice: Annual Fast & Vigil to Abolish the Death Penalty each summer at the U.S. Supreme Court in Washington, DC
We are funded by our members and supporters, and are a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization. Find out Guide Star profile here.
Find out how you can financially support Death Penalty Action here.
Executive Director: Abraham Bonowitz (bio)
Deputy Director: Rev. Brandi Slaughter
Administrator: Scott Langley
Congressional Relations Coordinator: Cathy Crino and Beth Burke
Impacted Communities Liaison: Charles Keith
Development Consultant: Stefanie Anderson
Campaigns Coordinator: Becky Corbin
Communications Associate: Alli Sullivan
General inquires may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Board of Directors:
While Death Penalty Action is a leadership, resource and support organization for those wishing to take action against the death penalty, we invite you to educate yourself about the facts and realities surrounding this issue. Click here for more information. Haga clic aquí para recursos en Español, sobre La Pena de Muerte, de Equal Justice USA