Say NO to Federal Executions!
(click to play a special message from acclaimed author and death penalty abolition activist Sister Helen Prejean)
The Trump Administration is attempting to resume federal executions after a 16 year hiatus, having announced 5 execution dates in 2019. But due to various court orders, all executions have been stayed, and no new dates are set at this time.
In the meantime, we are still taking action, including seeking signatures on petitions to the U.S. Congress and President Trump. See below on what you can STILL do to help!
Here is what you can do!
1. Sign the Petitions – Over the last 56 years, there have only been three federal executions carried out, and the last one was in 2003. To resume federal executions once again is an affront to the progress this country has made in eliminating the death penalty state-by-state and bringing us in-line with international human rights standards. In light of this, we are currently directing our opposition to the federal death penalty to the U.S. Congress (sign the congress petition here) and to President Trump (sign the Trump petition here).
2. Watch the videos from the 12/8/2019 Human Rights Day Convocation event in Terre Haute, Indiana – Video links coming soon.
3. Be prepared: start planning a solidarity action/vigil where you live in the event that new execution dates are set in 2020 – In addition to the prison vigil in Terre Haute, Indiana, people are encouraged to hold vigils and protests outside federal buildings around the country. If you are planning to hold an event in your area, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org. Death Penalty Action is providing downloadable signs and banners you can print yourself or at a local sign shop. Get a 4’x10′ banner image file here.
5. Donate to support the work on the ground – Your financial support is needed! Please contribute generously to help cover the costs of planning, organizing and implementing critical federal actions. Online donations (including PayPal) can be made here. You may also send checks or money orders by mail. Make checks payable to “Death Penalty Action” with “Federal Executions” in the memo line and mail to PO Box 89, Ghent, NY 12075.
6. Wear a death penalty abolition t-shirt – spark a conversation about what is going on with some visibility! Shirts available for ordering on our merch site.
7. Educate yourself about the federal death penalty – The federal death penalty applies in all 50 states and U.S. territories but is used relatively rarely. About 60 prisoners are on the federal death row, most of whom are imprisoned in Terre Haute, Indiana. Three federal executions have been carried out in the modern era, all by lethal injection, with the last occurring in 2003. Learn more about the federal death penalty at deathpenaltyinfo.org.
8. Stay in touch! – To receive updates directly on the plans as they develop, please join our email list.